This warming soup is full of flavour and wholesome vegetables and it’s filling enough to be a meal in itself with the hearty potato and pasta. We kept the fresh, seasonal Irish tomatoes chunky in ours to make them the main event of this classic Minestrone!
1 medium onion
1 celery stick
1 medium potato
2 tablespoons tomato purée
1 tin butter beans
1.5 litres vegetable stock
120g spaghetti/small pasta
Handful greens (kale/spinach)
1 tablespoon fresh oregano/marjoram
1 teaspoon honey
- Finely chop your garlic
- Wash and scrub the carrots and potato and dice them into evenly sized pieces, then do the same with the onion, celery, pepper/courgette
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters
- Break up the spaghetti if using
- Make up your vegetable stock
3. Then add in the carrots, celery, potato and pepper/courgette. Cook gently all together for 4-5 minutes.
4. Stir in the tomatoes, purée, and stock, then simmer for 10 minutes. Then add the butter beans and pasta and simmer for another 8-10 minutes until the pasta is almost cooked.
5. Stir in the greens and herbs and cook for a few more minutes. Add in some more stock if the soup becomes too thick with the pasta.