This creamy savoy cabbage dish is perfect comfort food. Adding the butter beans is a satisfying hit of protein to complete a quick nutritious lunch with the sweetness of the tomatoes against the heartiness of the cabbage. If you are feeling exceptionally indulgent, you can add some bacon with the onions.
You can also use cavelo nero or red cabbage here.
2 cloves of garlic
100ml cream (or plant based alternative such as soy cream)
1 tin of butter beans
4 large Savoy Cabbage leaves
Cherry tomatoes (or sundried)
1. Dice the onion and garlic. Wash the cabbage leaves, remove the tough stalk down the middle and shred finely.
2. Add 2 tbsps oil to a large pan on a medium heat and sauté the onion for 5 minutes. Add the garlic for a further 2 minutes.
3. Drain the butter beans, adding to the pan followed by the cream. Leave to simmer for a couple of minutes.
4. Add the cabbage, some fresh thyme sprigs and season well, allow to simmer on a low-medium heat for 5-10 minutes until the cabbage has softened.
5. Meanwhile, quarter the tomatoes. Add to a separate frying pan with 1 tbsp oil and gently sauté for 2 minutes.
6. Serve the creamy cabbage topped with the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and some parmesan cheese if preferred.