Chestnut mushrooms are so full of flavour and we have left them whole to make the most of this earthy baked dish. Serve with a big bowl of green salad leaves and fresh sourdough to soak up the delicious, herb-filled tomato sauce.
250g chestnut mushrooms
1 small onion/ half a leek
2 garlic cloves
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
100g bacon (optional)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Handful of grated cheddar or parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Prep your ingredients:
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees or 180 for a fan oven
- Wipe the mushrooms clean and leave whole
- Chop the garlic, onion/leek finely
- Dice the bacon if using
2. Heat the oil in a pan and crisp the bacon for a few minutes. Then reduce the heat and cook the garlic, onion/leek gently for 3-4 minutes until soft.
3. Pour in the tin of tomatoes and a little water to rinse the tin out. Season with salt and pepper and the dried oregano. Leave to simmer for 6-8 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.
4. Transfer to an oven proof dish and arrange the whole mushrooms on top, stalks facing up. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper and drizzle over a little oil.
5. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes and then scatter on a little cheddar or parmesan cheese and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
6. Serve with a seasonal green salad and some fresh sourdough bread.